Due Tuesday. Remember, the more effort you put into these, the better your test scores will be.
1. What events led to worsening tensions between the US and Germany? What finally caused Wilson to break diplomatic relations?What event caused the US to declare war?
2. What ideological means did Wilson use to justify American involvement and to attempt to persuade the American people to support this involvement? How was propaganda used by the US government?
3. What exactly were the Fourteen Points? Summarize them into 3 basic aims.
4. How did the war affect civil liberties, both through pressure for comformity and through passage of laws? Be specific. Which groups suffered the most?
5. How radical was the passage of the 19th Amendment, especially compared to other countries in the world, and indeed some states?
6. What is the significance of the Sheppard- Towner Maternity Act?
7. What events during World War I (and immediately after it) demonstrated tension in the area of labor?
8. What federal agencies were set up to help shift to a wartime economy? What were some other examples of government control to aid mobilization?
9. How was the war financed?
10. How were manpower issues addressed? Was this done universally, or were there exceptions to this mechanism? How was this situation different from that which operated during the Civil War?
11. How did actions by the US and Russia in 1917-1918 affect German war aims and tactics?
12. Which major battles did the US forces participate? What happened in each of these?
13. What were the main features of the US force sent to Europe? Who was the commander? Where have we heard of him before this point?
14. What was the significance of the 2nd Battle of the Marne?
15. What were the most significant contributions of the US to the Allied victory?
16. What did Wilson demand before he would agree to an armistice? What were his goals at the peace conference, and which one was MOST important to him?
17. How did internal US politics impact the negotiations at Paris, especially among the Allies?
18. What criticism did Wilson face after the signing of the Treaty of Versailles? What aspects did Americans find most objectionable?
19. What did Henry Cabot Lodge do to stall a vote on the Treaty in the Senate? What else did he do to oppose Wilson’s war aims? What eventually happened to the Treaty?
20. What were the particular objections to the League of Nations? How did Wilson make this worse? What was the major weakness of the League?
21. What did Wilson mean by a “solemn referendum?”