Always include specific names, locations, and dates where possible.
1. What was the timing between the battles of Lexington and Concord and the convening of the 2nd Continental Congress? What is the significance of the number of colonies who sent delegates to this meeting? What did most of the delegates originally seem to favor as the course of action to take?
2. What was the most important thing the Congress did and what were the reasons why they made this decision? What characteristics did George Washington have that made him a good choice? What qualities did he lack?
3. What was unusual about the time period from April 1775 to July 1776? What did the Continental Congress do in July 1775 that seemed at odds with military events during that time, and what was the response from the king in August 1775?
4. List and describe the early military engagements in the war in 1775. How did the invasion of Canada undercut colonial claims of fighting defensively based upon ideology?
5. What happened on Evacuation Day?
6. What were the specific reasons why the colonists delayed in declaring their outright independence until July of 1776?
7. Explain the basic republican ideology behind Common Sense and the Declaration of Independence? What were the main tenets about government articulated by both Paine and Jefferson? What conditions were considered necessary to have a successful republican government?
8. What were the examples the colonists drew upon when arguing the feasibility of self-government?
9. Summarize the grievances listed in the Declaration of Independence.
10. What were the specific tasks performed by the Patriot militia?
11. Explain the main differences between the Patriots and the Tories in terms of location, education, wealth, etc. Why did some remain Loyalists while others gambled everything by declaring themselves revolutionaries? How did most people feel about revolution?
12. Why was the Battle of Long Island significant? What were Washington’s two greatest successes in 1776-early 1777, and where were these located?
13. Create a simple chart detailing which British and American generals were associated with which battles, and the date and region in which the battles took place.
14. What was the intent and significance of the Model Treaty? Who negotiated it?
15. When and why did France come to the aid of the colonists? What was the catalyst for their open support? What specific advantages did America gain? Were there any disadvantages?
16. What calamity struck the American forces on the heels of the French alliance?
17. How were indigenous peoples and the frontier affected by the war? Why did some native tribes fight for the British? What did the Treaty of Fort Stanwix do?
18. What do privateers do? What role did they play? How did the US Navy perform during the war? add some specific details to support your answer.
19. What happened at Yorktown? Why do some historians claim that it was not accurate to claim that the Americans won there?
20. What were the main provisions of the Treaty of Paris of 1783, and why were they so relatively generous to the Americans?