Chapter 38 Questions
1. How and why did Robert Kennedy clash with J. Edgar Hoover? What does this indicate about each man’s priorities for the FBI and the Justice Department?
2. What was different about Kennedy’s advisors, compared to previous presidents?
3. How did Kennedy try to stimulate the economy when he first took office? Why did he clash with business leaders? What step was taken in regard to tariffs?
4. Why was Kennedy unable to make more progress on social reform and civil rights legislation? What were the main points of the “New Frontier?”
5. Why did Kennedy state the goal of a manned mission to the moon?
6. Describe the basic characteristics of the doctrine of flexible response. What were the advantages and disadvantages of such a policy? What was the impetus for the suggestion of a policy of “peaceful coexistence?”
7. What happened to the American military presence in Vietnam during Kennedy’s administration, and why? Bullet point the main events and their significance.
8. Why and how did Kennedy reach out to Latin America? How successful was this policy? How was this related to what was going on in the late 1950s and early 1960s in Cuba?
9. What happened at the Bay of Pigs, and how was this related to the Cuban Missile Crisis? What response did Kennedy have in each instance?
10. How did Kennedy first attempt to deal with the civil rights movement? What role did Bobby Kennedy play in the administration’s response to crises over civil rights? What was the early relationship with Dr. King like?
11. How was the point of the Voter Education Project? How did events in Birmingham affect public opinion at home and abroad about the movement? How did this lead to the March on Washington? What was the point of this march and w was this event notable?
12. How and why was JFK assassinated? What then happened to cause continued theories about the assassination itself?
13. What was Lyndon Johnson’s background that indicated he might be better suited to persuade Congress to cooperate than Kennedy?
14. What were the main pieces of civil rights legislation passed under LBJ and their purposes? What was unusual about Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964? What constitutional amendment was passed on this issue?
15. How did the events in the Gulf of Tonkin change the American approach to the war in Vietnam? Why and when did the US adopt a strategy of large –scale aerial bombing in Vietnam, and what effect did this have?
16. What factors led voters to support LBJ in the presidential election of 1964? Who was the Republican nominee, and what policies did he propose?
17. What were the main components of the War on Poverty? What eventually were the main successes of the Great Society plan? What other policy prevented LBJ from truly being able to accomplish more of his goals?
18. What were the main educational and cultural agencies or programs created under LBJ, and what did they do? How did Johnson gain support for federal educational aid?
19. How did passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 change the goals of the civil rights movement? How did the Voting Rights Act of 1965 change politicians’ approach to voters?
20. How did immigration policy change under LBJ?
21. What was the focus of the Black Power movement? What differences existed between leaders in this movement and the old-school civil rights leadership?
22. Why did rioting break out in Watts in 1965? What was the difference in the goals, leaders, and methods used in the civil rights movement after the mid-1960s?
23. What was the center of congressional opposition to LBJ’s Vietnam policy?Why was the Tet Offensive a turning point both in Vietnam and in terms of public opinion of the war?
24. How did LBJ react to political opposition to his Vietnam policy both in Congress and among the American people?
25. What persuaded John to abandon his possible campaign for the presidency in 1968? What happened to Democratic attempts to nominate an anti-war candidate for president?
26. What happened at the 1968 Democratic national convention?
27. Who was assassinated in 1968? Where were there uprisings in 1968, and what were the causes?
28. What was George Wallace’s party affiliation and platform when he ran for president in 1968? What eventually happened to him?
29. Who was the Republican nominee for president in 1968? What was his platform, and what qualifications did he bring to the race?
30. Why did Americans become skeptical about authority and “the establishment” in the late 1960s? What did your book mean by “the three P’s” that explain cultural upheaval?