Due Monday, April 21.
Chapter 40 questions
1. What factors weakened Jimmy Carter in the election of 1980? What opposition did he face within his own party? In what areas did Carter eventually receive admiration after he left office?
2. What groups and causes made up the New Right Movement? How was this different from the Old Right? What are the main beliefs of neoconservatives (neocons)?
3. Contrast Ronald Reagan’s political beliefs with that of FDR, and explain why Reagan moved from his early support of the New Deal? What previous experience had Reagan had as a leader?
4. What were the main battles in the war over taxes in the late 1970s and 1980s? How did this influence Reagan’s two main domestic goals as president?
5. What foreign leader was Reagan’s most similar ally, and what characteristics did they share?
6. What is a “blue dog?”
7. What did supply-side theorists believe would be the specific results of Regan’s economic actions? What were the short-term (by 1982) and long-term effects of these policies?
8. What happened to the value of the dollar during the 1980s, and what impact did that have?
9. What first happened in the election of 1984? How many states did Reagan win in the electoral college vote?
10. What was “the focus of evil in the modern world?” Explain “glasnost” and perestroika.” How did Reagan’s stance toward this country specifically change during his second term?
11. What were the main components of the Iran-Contra scandal? What was revealed about Reagan’s management style by the investigation of this affair?
12. What happened to the federal deficit during the 1980s, and why? What specific impacts did this have?
13. What court decisions dealt with abortion and contraceptive care during the Reagan administration? What impact did each case have on the availability of abortion?
14. What types of industries had to receive government bailouts during the 1980s?
15. How did events in Poland help hasten the end of the USSR? What tensions flared up within former Communist republics in the late 1980s and early 1990s?
16. In what ways did the tactics and ideas of the 1960s New Left influence the 1980s New Right?
17. What do Michael Dukakis, Gary Hart, and Jesse Jackson all have in common?
18. How did President Bush (41) describe the hoped-for New World Order that he envisioned after the fall of the majority of the communist bloc?
19. How and why did the US get involved in a gulf war in 1991? What were the results of this war?
20. Why was the nomination of Clarence Thomas to the Supreme Court such a controversial issue? What eventually happened?